Stop and Smell the Roses or Something

Have you ever been somewhere and you smell something you can’t resist?  This has happened to me many times, walking through a courtyard at a hotel or even in a neighbor’s backyard and all of a sudden, a smell catches you…you wander around trying to pinpoint the exact location.  Passer buyers look at you weird because your whole group has this crazy look on their face with their noses in the air. I think it is absolutely amazing how something so small can share such a fragrance ending up disrupting anything you were doing.
I love flowers!  The vibrant colors are in good company as your senses take it all in.  I was surprised one time as we noticed an amazing smell.  While we are all following our noses, one of my sons yelled out, “Here it is!”  Quickly, we all gathered around and recognized it as lavender.  Although that wasn’t what I thought I would find, it was definitely where the aroma was coming from. Now, as we are looking forward to spring planting, I can’t help but think about where my lavender is going. 
It’s not only flowers that I love.  Plant a seed and it will flourish.  That’s the theory anyway.  Ok, how about, my husband plants a seed and it will flourish.  The time and energy he put into planting corn, tomatoes, cucumbers and squash makes it all worth the work when you are able to sneak out to the garden and sink your teeth into something so unbelievable, fresh vegetables.  Again, being up close and personal with the plants while you are weeding and sucking in the smell of a tomato plant.  Another favorite of mine.
A few years ago, we lived in Western Idaho.  The summer sun hung in the sky until after 10:00 p.m.  We were building a home and hadn’t established a garden spot so I delightfully ventured around to the local orchards and farmer’s market. It sure didn’t take me very long to gather a bouquet of flowers each week as I shopped for our fresh veggies.  This was a delight as I was able to enjoy them for a couple weeks knowing it would be replaced.  Each one was unique in smell and color.  Honestly, it was like stepping back in time. Such a peaceful, content moments when I will always treasure stopping to smell the roses or something.



 

Comments

Popular Posts